Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sleep Over

Well, we all survived Zach inviting a friend over for their first sleep over. I have to say it went well and learned a few things along the way. When I think back to my school years some of my fondest memories with friends were having slumber parties. In fact, I still have in my mind that I would like to have some grown up girlfriends over and we stay up all night talking and eating, but never quite get around to organizing it. Anyway, the things I learned this weekend

1. If you just leave them along they work things out. I admit it I am a meddler- I never want feelings to get hurt and with boys angry feelings usually lead to some sort of physical retaliation- so I don't want anyone to get physically hurt either. But, I did more sitting back this time and guess what- they would work most things out on their own- mostly no tears and no blood.

2. They recover quickly. It was getting later last night and happy attitudes were fading fast. They were bickering about something and this was the moment I was waiting for- they're too young, I knew this would happen, they wouldn't be able to get along, I hope this doesn't ruin there friendship forever, I hope his parent don't mind if I call now to come pick him up . . .. But within about a total of 5 minutes- they are laughing and giggling again like nothing ever happened.

3. Use your gut to end things on a good note. They both got some sleep, woke up in good moods, talking about spending the rest of the day together. Zach invited his buddy to church- all went well. We should have ended it then, but they begged to stay a little longer. Well, that little longer ended up in a wrestling match and tears. Which I telling myself don't dwell on the 2 or 3 negative instances and remember they had mostly 18 hours of fun.

No comments: